Sunday, August 20, 2017

Thoughts On Marvel's "The Defenders"







I just finished "The Defenders," and here are my thoughts:

1. Simone Missick (Misty Knight) is dreamy. Every move she made raised my temperature. 😍 I loved her assertiveness and confidence. She oozed power, and it wasn't emanating from the badge. I can't wait to see how her character develops with Collen as the Daughters of the Dragon. Or maybe Iron Fist will teach her, and they'll be The Friends of the Dragon, LOL. I wonder if he and Misty will end up together, like in the comics? Where would that leave Colleen? Can't wait to see her new, enhancement. 

2. Jessica Jones came to be a lot more likable, relatable and fun to watch. I actually found myself caring about her this time around. And she added a LOT of comic relief to an otherwise serious show.

3. Daredevil shines as the scrappiest, most daring character of the group. He is all heart and fire - a true scene stealer. His fights scenes are insane. As a bit of a romantic, I loved how Matt just couldn't give up on his lost love - he would do nearly anything to have her back. That was really moving. 

4. Luke Cage emerged as the group's moral compass - he is a man who knows right from wrong. He's a wrecking ball on the side of justice (which doesn't necessarily mean siding with the law always). After all he's been through, Cage is still righteous. I dig it.

5. Iron Fist...Oh, me. He was a lot more focused, and a little more mature and heroic this time around. So, I liked him a bit more. His fight scenes were better, but he was still eclipsed by Daredevil at every turn. He was the weak link and even had to be subdued and protected by the rest of the group. He spent probably 75% of his fight scenes losing. Maybe he should change his name to reflect his abilities - not Iron Fist..Maybe Aluminum Fist. -Jk I am sure he'll grow into the part and only get better. I definitely thought he was better this time around.

6. It was great to see how much Colleen and Danny had in common. They are both just lost kids looking for a family. It explains Their inferiority complexes (evidenced on how Iron Fist always needs to broadcast that he's "The Immortal Iron Fist," and Colleen has to prove she can hang with the big dog superheroes). I like their mutually supportive relationship. Sometimes only someone as messed up as you are can feel your pain.

7. Claire Temple is amazing as the glue that binds them all together. She is brave, altruistic, put upon, perpetually exhausted, and the most mature character in all of the MCU. She doesn't deal in lies, beat herself up over other people's decisions, mince words or try to be anything other than who and what she is. She is definitely the character most grounded in reality in the show.

    "The Defenders" was really a lot of fun to watch. Not too realistic and gritty, and not too fantastical - Defenders was just right for a two-day binge-watch to take my mind away from the social and political unrest that weighed heavily on my mind for the last two weeks. Keep working on Iron Fist, but bravo, Marvel! Overall, you did a bang-up job on this series. Can't wait for more. 

If you like these article, PLEASE HIT THE +1 BUTTON below. We are on Google+, follow us and we'll follow you back.  We're also on Facebook. Like our page, and share us with your friends! Help me win one million readers over to the awesome world of comics!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, pretty dead on to what I thought about the show. Iron Fist wasn't as cringe worthy and I finally liked Jessica Jones a bit better. Her sour and abrasive demure was a bit more tolerable with others to soften it. Luke Cage is still a badass and Simone Missick as Misty Knight? C'mon, she's GORGEOUS and the character's powerful confidence is sexy. I really enjoyed this show and this review. Keep up the great work TEX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Vic!!

      Thank you! And thanks for taking the time to visit.

      The show was better than I had hoped. Jones' devil-may-care attitude really served to lighten the show. I loved the way that they all allowed for one another's faults by the end, even Danny's - you could feel a family bond emerging. I couldn't take my eyes off Missick every time she was on the screen. I am looking forward to series 2 of The Defenders. Hopefully, by then Finn will have had enough time to master the choreography enough to make the fights really look great. Or maybe they can finally give him a mask and an awesome stuntman like Charlie Cox has.

      Delete