Friday, August 3, 2018

CBCS REVEAL EPISODE 7 (Dell's Lobo)



Hey friends!

   I am glad to be back with my fellow questers with another fun-filled episode of TEX'S BACK-ISSUE QUEST! Today, we churn out episode 6 of the chronicle of my journey through my first slabbing experience with CBCS!!

   More than a year agone, I introduced you to an important obscure Dell western hero named...LOBO!!


   Lobo #1 was printed in 1965, and the world came to know the legend of the Union-soldier-turned-gunslinger-hero...LOBO!! Well. Kinda. Actually, not really at all. Lobo didn't sell very well. Some sources say it may have sold just 10,000 copies - some retailers took one look at the color of the hero on the cover and returned the comics right back to Dell. 

   Unfortunately, it was the world we lived in, then. You can dive into the history of Lobo HERE. Oh, go on and click it. You know you want to. :-)

   Since Lobo was largely forgotten, he languished in obscurity for more than forty years until collectors caught wind that Lobo was a VERY IMPORTANT piece of comicbook history; it featured the VERY FIRST African American to have his own title!! However, it was too little, too late. Lobo comics were scarcer than free money and smart dummies. Me? I just wanted to read it, and as luck would have it, I happened to come across a very nice copy for an incredibly low price. If I recall correctly, I paid about $25 for this comic about 10 years agone. In the past few years, collector demand has soared for Lobo, so I had mine graded and slabbed for posterity (but mostly to keep it out of my grubby hands because I LOVE to read my old comics). Here's what I went and did:


   Oooh-wee!! Lookitdatrightdere!! It's my freshly-slabbed copy of Lobo #1. I had it scoped at an 8.0, but CBCS graded it at a nice 7.5. No complaints here - the thing's been read 20 times or more, so it's fine with me. Comicspriceguide has this book valued at, get this, a whopping $16!! But in the real world, Ebay values it at...Well, I can't rightly say since mine is graded higher than any sold on Ebay in recent months. Sweet. A copy graded at 6.5 sold for $595 and a few days later, a copy graded at 7.0 sold for only $450. You can see the completed listings HERE. There are only 5 for sale on Ebay right now; you can see the asking prices HERE

   Whatever the value of my book, I am sure that we can agree that it IS NOT $16. LOL!

   I am really glad to have such an important key in my comics collection. And I am really glad that you took the time to visit with me today. Thank you, fellow Questers...And happy collecting!!

PS. Hey. Wanna see my other CBCS REVEALS? Click one, or click 'em all:


f you like these articles, PLEASE HIT THE +1 BUTTON below. We are on Google+, follow us and we'll follow you back.  We're also on Facebook. Like our page, and share us with your friends! Help me win one million readers over to the awesome world of comics!

No comments:

Post a Comment