Tuesday, July 18, 2017

TEX'S BACK -ISSUE QUEST EPISODE #58 (The Strain)


Howdy, fellow Questers!

    I hope your week is going well and that your feeling life's groove. All's fine in my neck of the woods, but since I have some things I have to accomplish today, I thought I'd hit you up with a midweek dose of comic book knowledge that you can't get in any college. And, conveniently, it gives me an excuse to celebrate the return of one of my favorite shows:


     It's my copy of The Strain volume 1, number 1. This is the more pricey 1 in 5 variant. The Strain #1 features the first appearances of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather,  Professor Abraham Setrakian, vampire hunter, and The Master, menacingly powerful source of the vampire outbreak. 

     The Strain is an adaptation of a novel of the same name written by Mexican/American director, Guillermo Del Toro, and novelist, Chuck Hogan. Adapted wonderfully by veteran comic scribe, David Lapham, and penciled by Mike Huddleston, The Strain follows humanity's battle against total conquest by an ancient evil. Heading the human charge are Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, Head of the CDC's rapid-response team, and Professor Abraham Setrakian, a Romanian Jew who has spent the greater part of his life hunting The Master down after originally encountering him during WWII while confined to an extermination camp. Dr. Goodweather and Professor Setrakian, along with their ragtag band of vampire fighters, like the double-tough exterminator, Vasily Fet, and ex-gang member, Augustin Elizalde, battle with swords, guns, and science to push back The Master and his monstrous minions before they reduce the human race to mere cattle to suit their voracious appetites. On to the FUN FACTS!!

FUN FACT 1 - The writer, David Lapham has written superhero stories and other things, but his horror stories are the stuff of legend. He has the eerie ability to give a voice to wickedness that is quite unsettling (As a reference, see his work on Crossed: Family Values, and Crossed: Psychopath). Warning: Crossed is not for children or those with tender sensibilities. 

FUN FACT 2 - The co-creator, Guillermo Del Toro is an award-winning writer, producer, and director best known for directing the "Hellboy" films, "Blade II," and the critically acclaimed masterpiece, "Pan's Labyrinth." 

FUN FACT 3 - In 2014, The Strain was adapted into a successful TV series by FX. And it is GREAT!! It stars Corey Stoll as Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, David Bradley as Professor Setrakian, Kevin Durand as Vasily Fet, and Miguel Gomez as Augustin Elizalde. Del Toro wrote and directed the pilot episode. It is now in its 4th and final season. Can you feel my sadness?





FUN FACT 5 - I used to have a habit of selling, or giving away, my modern comics after reading them. I owned the whole of volume one of The Strain but sold it after reading it. I came across the above comic later, liked the cover and bought it. Lucky for me. I had no idea it would rocket up in value due to the upcoming TV series.

Well, that's it for now. Happy Trails, fellow QUESTERS!! Be safe, be good, be AWESOME!


If you like this article, please hit the +1 button below. We are on Google+, follow us and we'll follow you back.  We're also on Facebook. Like our page, and share us with your friends! Help me win one million readers over to the awesome world of comics!

No comments:

Post a Comment